Top 10 Ways to Cool Your Anger at Work
Left unchecked, anger can damage office relationships and even careers. Here are 10 simple ways to cool your anger before it gets out of control in the workplace:
- Take several deep breaths. Breathe in calmness and then release anger as you breathe out.
- Do something physical. Take a walk, go outside the office or walk some stairs. Not only is exercise healthy for your body, it does wonders for your mood.
- Take a break. Before you blow up, walk away from the situation and gather your thoughts.
- Listen to some soothing music on your headphones. Rewiring your thought patterns toward something peaceful and relaxing can help defuse anger.
- Be grateful. Practice mindfulness by understanding the lesson in every situation (even difficult ones) and be thankful for these opportunities to improve yourself as a professional.
- Write it out. Recording your thoughts on paper or in your work diary helps you vent in a safe and positive way.
- Count to 10. This might sound simplistic, but it's an easy and quick way to take the edge off anger.
- Refocus the negative energy of anger into something more positive. Reframe the difficult circumstance and look for humor in the situation.
- Learn to be assertive. Learn what your needs are and how to make them clear to others in a way that is respectful of yourself and others, without being pushy or demanding.
- Seek help from your supervisor. If you find you’re angry a lot, recognize where the anger is actually coming from. Clearly articulate the problem in a constructive way to your supervisor and be proactive in providing a solution to him or her. This will allow your supervisor to help in the best way possible.
Author’s content used under license, © Claire Communications